The cosmos is full of wonder and mystery
Let us show you why.
Edge-On Galaxy NGC 5866Why is this galaxy so thin? Many disk galaxies are just as thin as NGC 5866, pictured here, but are not seen edge-on from our vantage point. One galaxy that is situated edge-on is our own Milky Way Galaxy. Classified as a lenticular galaxy, NGC 5866 has numerous and complex dust lanes appearing dark and red, while many of the bright stars in the disk give it a more blue underlying hue. The blue disk of young stars can be seen extending past the dust in the extremely thin galactic…
The next generation of falcons are now flying high above Melbourne, Australia.
This is the exact moment the third and final chick leapt out of their nest.And we have lift off!
This morning, all three Collins St Falcon chicks took the plunge, leaping from the ledge of a window high above Melbourne – much to the delight of their many fans across the world. Thanks for tuning in to the most successful year of the live stream yet!
These are nuclear superbubbles, which may form when matter falls into a supermassive black hole, which releases enormous volumes of particles and strong magnetic fieldsThis incredible image shows a pair of “nuclear superbubbles,” one over 4,900 light-years across and the other over 3,500 light-years.
Get special treatment! Discover.earth members get bonuses like:
☄️ Asteroid tier
- 🌎 Patreon-only group in the forum
- 🌎 Access special Big Ideas Network articles
- 🌎 Behind-the-scenes videos
- 🌎 Unique flairs and badges
🪐 Planetary tier
- 🌎 Monthly group video chat with other Patreons and Ben (discover.earth founder)
- 🌎 Get your name in the Big Ideas Network email
- 🌎 Pack of discover.earth stickers
- + All of the above
🌟 Stellar tier
- 🌎 One time one-on-one 60-minute phone call with Ben
- 🌎 Access 1000's of Big Ideas Network drafts and research
- + All of the above
The molecular mechanisms of the Electron Transport Chain, harvest energy to pump protons across the mitochondrial membrane and create a chemical gradient.
- Load More